Sunday, February 15, 2009

Why I became a hypnotherapist...

"Wow, I can't believe you are a hypnotherapist," my friend Melissa emailed me after reading my Facebook profile. I get that a lot, along with "I don't know any hypnotists." Three years ago I would have said the same thing. Other than attending a few stage hypnosis shows at various comedy clubs over the years, I never really gave hypnotism much thought.

Then I got sick.

Shortly after my daughter was born, I was diagnosed with Graves disease, which is an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid causing it to become hyperactive. I started researching the disease, treatment options, and what I could expect long-term. I was horrified and frightened by what I learned. I was also starting to feel sorry for myself and wondering why this was happening to me. I began a journey to find answers. Along the way I read about the powerful effects the mind can have on the body. I read about terminal cancer patients who became cancer-free just by using the power of their minds. I learned about people making major changes in their lives just by believing that they could.

I decided to learn more about hypnosis, and the more I learned, the more fascinated in it I became. I really like helping people and I truly believe that hypnosis is a great tool for bringing positive changes to people's lives. Every day I hear family and friends talk about their issues, and I believe that most of the time hypnosis can help them.

You'll notice me referring to myself as both a hypnotist and a hypnotherapist. In clinical hypnosis, or the therapeutic use of hypnosis, the term is interchangeable.

Hypnosis isn't the solution to every problem, though, particularly in cases where mental illness is a factor. There are also situations when cognitive therapy or family counseling is more appropriate. I strongly believe that in medical situations hypnosis should only be used to complement, not replace, traditional medical treatment. However, when used appropriately and competently, hypnosis can help bring about powerful changes in most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment